I am amazed, I made 3 New Years resolutions. The first was a very strong “No more shave soaps until I use 50% of my den”, the Second was I must use a straight razor 3 times for every DE/SE shave or, a 3-1 ratio, and finally I did NOT have to shave everyday. Last year my resolution was to shave 365 days ! I did it; I was writing more for 365shaves.com as well so it made sense. I am still an author there, and recommend them as a great resource, as well as they are just great guys.
Well, I can live with the no new soaps, no problems with using a straight razor….., but I’m emotional messed up ! after 365 shaves in a row; I can’t stop shaving daily. That in a way is great, but now I feel “naked” if I don’t shave like I forgot an important part of my day. So here I am still shaving daily, though if I miss a day I doubt I’ll beat myself up too bad.
Today’s shave was excellent, I am using Catie’s Bubbles “Pomander” soap every day for a week, and changing all the other variables to see how flexible I can make my shaves. Pomander is a clove/orange scent and I have a pre-sale production version in a mason jar from early 2014; almost a year ago. The soap held up great, and has about a week maybe 2 worth of shaves left. I loved today’s shave and as I said yesterday Pomander delivered a cushioning, slick and fragrant shave. No reservations using this soap with a straight razor even against the grain it has ample glide though I added vegetable glycerin out of habit. I hope you all had excellent shave this weekend as well, details below, shave on everyone ! – Aaron
** side note- The Lord Randall brush is breaking in amazingly well. Not a single shed hair, a bit more scritch is coming out and the flow through is becoming a lot better, holding the lather inside, but releasing it easily, again I can just tell this brush is something special. **
- Pre: Clarisonic Aria with sensitive skin head and cleanser
- Prep: Hot shower with Razorock/HTGAM lime pre-shave soap
- Soap: Catie’s Bubbles “Pomander” beta version
- Brush: Vie-Long Lord Randall mixed horse/badger
- Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 straight razor in faux ebony scales
- Lather type: Bowl
- Moustache type: Natural
- Wax & Pomade: Ginger’s Garden beard oil & None
- Post Shave: Cold water rinse, RazoRock alum, Anthony Logistics ingrown hair treatment
- After Shave: Old Spice
- Balm/Other: Catie’s Bubbles whipped Shea butter
- Fragrance: Prada Luna Rossa Extreme EDP