An in depth video review of Tabacco by Extro’ Cosmesi. We will discuss both the soap & after shave created by Donato Cinniello, brought to me from Paolo Tondi of TVB Shaving. If you love Tobacco scents and top end European artisan shaving look no further than Italy and Extro’
- Soap (croap) – Extro’ Tabacco
- Brush: Marfin no.69 custom Italian Briar Silver tip badger
- Razor: Vintage Dubl Duck GoldEdge straight razor
- After Shave / EDT: Extro’ Tabacco
Simply a great shave of the day ! If not mistaken this was the first SE razor I’ve used this far in 2015 my favorite Ever-Ready 1914. Simple and straight forward, but amazingly complex and huge scent from St. James of London “Black Pepper & Lime” , and what an amazing lather produced with the Simpsons CH2 synthetic, I really could not ask for a better way to end the week ! Reviews on all are soon to follow; all of these items are just to great not to talk about. Shave on everyone & lets get the weekend started ! – Aaron
- Pre: Clarisonic Aria with sensitive brush and hydro gel.
- Prep: Hot Shower with Cremo face wash
- Cream: St. James of London “Black Pepper & Lime”
- Brush: Simpsons Chubby2 Synthetic
- Razor: Ever-Ready 1914
- Blade: GEM SS (1)
- Moustache wax: Pinaud Brown
- Pomade: Hairbond “Distorter”
- After Shave: Royall Lyme
- Balm: St. James of London “Black Pepper & Lyme” gel
- Fragrance: Le Couvent des Minimes “Eau des Minimes” EDC
I am amazed, to the point of almost speechless, can you imagine that ? I being speechless ! I say this as today’s shave was such a difference from yesterday. Yesterday while a close shave, it was absolutely uncomfortable, and at my own fault for using untried gear. I sharpened up overnight. I used gear I knew would work, and even took a slight chance, but on a very educated guess. So onto the shave as it was just that good there’s not much to say aside from what worked for me today.
It is no secret I love the Merkur Progress in its original iteration, while I think the Mergress or other variations of altering and fine tuning this razor look great, it does not change the shave itself. I may down the road by another Progress just to “trick” it out, but for functional use; there in my book is no better adjustable than the long-handled Merkur Progress. Just my opinion YMMV but I always get close shaves today at a milder 3,2,2 three pass setting. I also threw caution to the wind, That Voskhod is now on use Eight ! I knew I had about a 99% chance I would be fine as I always get 10 close shaves with a Voskhod, never any less and in theory maybe more….. I just haven’t pushed them. I think this may be the blade to really see how many shaves I can get. Just a great pairing nothing else to say here.
For my soap as it is COLD here ! and I knew that before I left home I packed wisely. I brought my Tcheon Fung Sing “Cannella Arancio Amaro Aroma Intensio” croap. I was told by my Italian friends on the WSR Facebook group that it is a name, but also a description ! it just simply put means Bitter orange with Cinnamon with an intense aroma…. TFS is awesome the name describes the soap ! Talk about straight forward marketing. Great lather which I face lathered with a “test” brush I am reviewing though I will say it is a boar brush that I would put in the travel / starter category. This brush and soap did not disappoint at all, on the contrary I was very impressed with how well the brush is breaking in, the scritch, backbone and how well the lather generated into an easy three passes and I lost about another 1-2 passes down he drain. Perfect in the lather department !
Now into the travel lab I went ! I don’t care where in the world go I will always travel with my “lab” today it paid off very well. As stated above today’s flavor was bitter orange and Cinnamon. So after a great cold water rinse, Shavex alum, and some more cold water…..zero feedback and super smooth btw. I decided on a very unique combination…..this was GREAT ! I mixed Fine L’Orange Noir with Masters Bay rum a bit heavier on the Bay Rum, I’d say a 3 to 1 ratio, but it did not end there I then after a great dry down applied a very underused, and ultra moisturizing Baume.BE after shave balm which has a citrus like aroma in the vein of orange meets lemon and Verbena. This combination not only felt great but smells wonderful.
Todays shave proved to me the old saying tomorrows a new day could not be truer. I would have to say this was the best shave I’ve had all week…… If you’ve made it this far, and you have a Mergress or, modified Progress leave a comment I’d love to hear your thoughts. Have great days everyone and great shaves ! – Aaron
- Pre: Hot shower w/ Clinique facial bar
- Prep: Lather and hot towel
- Croap: Tcheon Fung Sing ” Cannella Arancio Amaro Aroma Intensio”
- Brush: “Test” brush in boar
- Razor: Merkur Progress 3,2,2 for three passes
- Blade: Voskhod (8)
- Lather type: Face (and a wonderful feel to it also)
- Moustache: Double turned handlebar
- Wax and Pomade: Pinaud natural and a combination of Crew Fiber and Royal Crown
- Post shave: Cold water rinse and Shavex alum
- After shave: Masters bay rum and Fine L’Orange Noir 3 to 1 ratio
- Balm: Baume.BE lotion
- EDT: Viktor and Rolf “Spice Bomb”